Friday, October 07, 2005

*Racist bloggers get jail sentence a.k.a Can we go after the homophobes now?*

I wanted a juicer title but it just so happens that my eyes have been raised for the past couple of days with the sort of headlines I've seen in the tabloit style papers (content not format) over the past few days.

Anyway, I like to think that my positions on this issue is clear, see my latest comments here. But having had massive difficultly persuading my friends that the best way to deal with the problem is not through the criminal system and that that should only be reserved for advocation of violence, I figure maybe it's better to go with the flow and propose the following legislative change instead.

So I propose we extend the protection of the court to other minority groups and use it to protect society from the potential of social discord. Since women have the Women's Charter and maids have s. 73 of the penal code (basically increases the penalty by 1.5 times), I say we use the Sedition Act against homophobes. After all, how is calling them abomanations and unnatural and demanding that they change their behavior, forcibly if required not constitute a henious form of discrimination, on par with attacking someone's race or religion? After all, homosexuality is not a choice (unlike religion) and furthermore, is intrinsic to the very nature of the person, perhaps even more so than race.

So if we can send people to jail on the basis of a deterent sentence to the rest of society on the premise that there was a potential for harm, I say if we have to continue using such laws, then let's protect the groups that face the most active discrimination!

Enough is enough, if we need to have bad laws, let's use it for good instead.

Peace.

Addendum: Corrected some grammatical errors, noticable by inserting the words 'be' and 'constitute'. In case you came from SingaporeAngle and have not read my comments, I would just like to clarify a few things. Please read my latest post for a full clarification. Oh and do click the links, they are to some earlier pertinent writings on my blog.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home