Friday, March 31, 2006

evolgen: Activism for Activism's Sake

*On "biopiracy"*

I fear I don't have the time at this point to do a proper post on this but I merely want to bring this to the attention of whoever reads this because this was an issue covered by the Business Time two days back condemning what they saw as biopiracy i.e. US patent law not recognising traditional knowledge as prior act thereby allowing greedy pharmaco firms to come in and patent...um...something (I presume by patenting bismarti rice, they were patenting the genomic sequence?)...and because of that it hurts...people...somewhere, somehow.

I felt that the BT article was full of sound and fury but ultimately signifying nothing because it doesn't set out what the problem really is. Insinuating theft is one thing, but whether it is really theft quite another.

But that's that for now.

Peace.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home